Connecting to Humanity by Paying Forward
Excerpt from © Copyright, Julian Gresser, Piloting Through Chaos—The Explorer’s Mind (Bridge 21 Press, March 2013) All rights reserved.
In his famous essay On Compensation, the American transcendental philosopher, Ralph Waldo Emerson, wrote:
“In the order of nature we cannot render benefits to those from whom we receive them, or only seldom. But the benefit we receive must be rendered again, line for line, deed for deed, cent for cent, to somebody. Beware of too much good staying in your hand. It will fast corrupt and worm worms. Pay it away quickly in some sort.”
This is a restatement of the Indian practice of Karma Yoga, beautifully and simply expressed by Vivikananda: Don’t hold on to the fruits of your labor; do work that helps others; so that your mind will be free.
In his 2007 book, Blessed Unrest, Paul Hawken traces the evolution of a global movement of movements. It has no name. They share no charismatic leader; they have no unifying ideology; no single root or segment of society predominates. They coalesce opportunistically into larger networks, and then dissolve. What they do share is a kinship with the earth and a fervent desire to heal her wounds and to restore justice. At the time of its writing Hawken estimates there were at least 130,000 such organizations. Although largely ignored by politicians and the media, at least until the publication of his book, their influence is growing. Their numbers may have doubled in the last five years. (See naturalcapital.org/)
Best of Good News
What if, by contrast to the daily fare of dark news served up by the mass media, we open ourselves to a continuous stream of good and hopeful news occurring daily and at every moment somewhere in the world? Daily Good News is an example of a wonderful new service:
Here are my selections of the “Best of Good News” that warm the heart. Please send in other recommendations that we can begin to post and pass on to your friends.
- Kite Master–http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=nr9KrqN_lIg
- John’s video–http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eht_rcXfBnk
- Gratitude and Healing–http://www.dailygood.org/view.php?sid=380
- Unspeakable Beauty–http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GDpfahL9b4
- Self Taught Teen Wows MIT–http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=3655
- Orchestra from Trash–http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiYFcuIkBjU
- Crickets Singing–http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujBTOPhGLMo
- Elephant paintings–http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvWjjh6djqI
- Christian the Lion (reunion and full video)–
- Lion Embrace–http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8UkAAwR-KI