Footnotes and References
( 1) Shawn Achor, The Happiness Advantage—Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work 2010.
(2) Andrew Marvel, To His Coy Mistress 1681
(4) See Li Jing, “The meaning of the Chinese cultural key word, xin.”(monograph linked)
(5) Robert Becker and Gary Seldon, The Body Electric: Electoromagnetism and the Foundation of Life (1985)
(7) Carolyn Purnell, The Sensational Past: How the Enlightenment Changed the Way We Use Our Senses 2017.
I. Experiencing Laughing Heart
Move # 1—Quieting The Heart
The Longevity Economy (pdf)
Bonus: Keith Jarret Shenandoah
Quieting the Heart: Last words of Stonewall Jackson: “Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.”
Move # 2—Finding Your Power—Becoming a Great Wave
(1) Surfing is closely akin to Laughing Heart. In both surfing and Laughing Heart we can step into a flow state as this great movie records. Step Into Liquid
Move # 3—Discovering Beauty
(1) Neuroesthetics International Neuroaesthetics Network
Move # 4—Connecting to Nature
(1) The following two interviews with Stephen Harrod Buhner provide deep insights into the role of heart as a communication center with all of nature. Two of his many seminal works are particularly relevant to the cultivation of Laughing Heart or Big Heart Intelligence: Plant Intelligence and the Imaginal World (2014), and The Secret Teachings of Plants (2004).
Exploring Laughing Heart
Move # 5—Downloading Creative Genius in Music
(1) Two useful references are: Don Campell, Music and Miracles 1992 and Don Campell, The Mozart Effect 1997. Also on Pythagoras and the harmony of the spheres
Move # 6– The Explorers Wheel–Connecting Laughing Heart with Everything
(1) Julian Gresser, Piloting Through Chaos—The Explorers Mind 2013
Move # 7—Enhancing Your Immunity by Love
Thich Nhat Hanh How to Eat 2014
Tango—The Dance of Heart
Move # 8—Paying Forward
Move # 9—Creating Your Own Luck
Move # 10—Realizing Laughing Heart Advantage through Emergent Art™
(1) Beyond Shared Value: Character as Corporate Destiny. It has been often observed that when we restore a sense of connection for a very ill person to his or her family and community, healing begins. I saw this first hand as a child when I visited Dr. Albert Schweitzer’s clinic in Lamberene, West Africa. The great doctor would encourage his patients to bring their entire household along with them—dogs, ducks, chickens, wives, husbands—to create a familiar and nourishing environment. (The director of the “modern” hospital across the Ogowe river lamented that very few villagers were coming for treatment, notwithstanding its advanced instruments and facility.) I relearned the principle many years later from my friend, the late Reverend Mitsuo Aoki, known as the “Mother Teresa of Hawaii. Dr. Aoki worked with dying cancer patients. Virtually all his patients he told me were spiritually at peace and happy in their lives, and many were in physical remission as a consequence, he believed, of the caring environment of his ministries.
(3) These will be part of Version 1.0 of the Laughing Heart app we hope to release by the fall 2017.
(4) Shawn Achor, The Happiness Advantage 2015